Intelligent Intrusion Detection System Using Genetic Algorithm
Keywords:Intrusion Detection System, Genetic algorithm.
AbstractIntrusion detection is an essential and important technique in research field. One of the main challengesin the security system of large-scale high-speed networks is the detection of suspicious anomalies in network traffic patterns due to different kinds of network attack. We give attacks normally identified by intrusion detection systems. Differentiation can be done in existing intrusion detection methods and systems based on the underlying computational methods used. Intrusion detection methods started appearing in the last few years. In this paper we propose an Intrusion detection method using Genetic Algorithm (GA). In this research contribution of each of above mentioned techniques will be systematically summarized and compared that will allows us to clearly define existing research challenges, and to highlight promising new research directions.
Information Systemsâ€ The 5th International Conference on Ambient Systems, Networks and Technologies
2. William Stallings (2011) â€œCryptography and Network Securityâ€ 6th edition. Prentice Hall
3. J.P. Anderson(1980), â€œComputer security threat Monitoring and surveillanceâ€ Technical Report, James
P. Anderson Co, Fort Washington, PA
4. P. Barford and D. Plonka (2001), â€œCharacteristics of network traffic flow anomaliesâ€, Proceedings of the 1st ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Internet Measurement,ACM New York, NY, USA, 2001, pp. 69â€“73.
5. A. Ghosh, A. Schwartzbard, M. Shatz (1999) Learning Program Behavior Profiles for Intrusion Detection, Proc.1st USENIX Workshop on Intrusion Detection and Network Monitoring.
6. P.E. Proctor(2001) The Practical Intrusion Detection Handbook (Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs ) pp. 108â€“111
7. S. Axelsson, Intrusion detection systems (2000)â€œA survey and taxonomyâ€, Tech. Report 99-15, Chalmers University of Technology, Department of Computer Engineering.
8. Gulshan Kumar, Krishan Kumar & Monika Sachdeva (2010) â€œThe use of artificial intelligence based techniques for intrusion detection: a reviewâ€ Published online: 4 September 2010 Â© Springer Science+Business Media
9. Panda, Mrutyunjaya, Ajith Abraham, and Manas Ranjan Patra (2012) â€œA Hybrid Intelligent Approach for Network Intrusion Detection,â€ Procedia Engineering 30 (2012), 1-9
10. F. Aminzadeh and M. Jamshidi (1994) â€œSoft Computingâ€. Prentice Hall.
11. Wang G, Hao J, Ma J Huang L. (2010) â€œA new approach to intrusion detection using Artificial Neural Networks and fuzzy clusteringâ€ Expert Systems with Applications 37 (2010) 6225â€“6232.
12. Christopher M. Bishop (1995) â€œNeural Networks for Pattern Recognitionâ€, Oxford presses 1995.
13. Cihan H. Dagli & Pipatpong Poshyanonda (1994), â€œBasic artificial neural network architecturesâ€ Artificial Neural Networks for Intelligent Manufacturing (39-65) Springer Netherlands.
14. Bhavin S. and Bhushan H. T. (2012), â€œArtificial Neural Network based Intrusion Detection System: A Surveyâ€, International Journal of Computer Applications 39(6):13-18.
15. J.P. Anderson(1980), â€œComputer security threat monitoring and surveillanceâ€ Technical Report, James P. Anderson Co, Fort Washington, PA
16. Dorothy E. Denning, D. L. Edwards, R. Jagannathan, T. F. Lunt, and P. G. Neumann (1987) A Prototype IDESâ€” A Real-Time Intrusion Detection Expert System. Technical report, Computer Science Laboratory, SRI International.
17. Fox, K. L., Henning, R. R., Reed, J. H., and Simonian, R. (1990). A neural network approach towards intrusion detection. In Proceedings of the 13th National Computer Security Conference, 125-134.
18. A. Chittur, â€œModel Generation for an Intrusion Detection System Using Genetic Algorithms,â€ High School Honors Thesis, Ossining High School, Ossining, NY, 2001.
19. W. Li, (2004) â€œUsing Genetic Algorithm for Network Intrusion Detectionâ€. â€œA Genetic Algorithm Approach to Network Intrusion Detectionâ€. SANS Institute, USA.
20. Tao Xia, Guangzhi Qu, Salim Hariri & Mazin Yousif (2005), â€œAn efficient Network Detection Method Based on Information Theory and Genetic Algorithmâ€, Proceedings of the 24th IEEE International Performance Computing and Communications Conference, Phoenix, Arizona, USA, 2005
21. B. Abdullah, I. Abd-alghafar, Gouda I. Salama, A. Abd-alhafez, â€œPerformance Evaluation of a Genetic Algorithm Based Approach to Network Intrusion Detection Systemâ€, 2009.
22. W. Lu & I. Traore (2004), â€œDetecting New Forms of Network Intrusion Using Genetic Programmingâ€. Computational Intelligence, vol. 20, pp. 3, Blackwell Publishing, Malden, pp. 475-494, 2004.
23. R. H. Gong, M. Zulkernine, P. Abolmaesumi (2005), â€œA Software Implementation of a Genetic Algorithm Based Approach to Network Intrusion Detectionâ€, 2005
24. B.Upalhaiah, K. Anand, B. Narsimha, S. Swaraj, T. Bharat, â€œGenetic Algorithm Approach to Intrusion Detection Systemâ€ ISSN: 0976-8491 (online) | ISSN : 2229-4333 (print), IJCST VOL3, ISSUE 1, JAN-MARCH 2012.
25. Shrinivasa K G, Saumya chandra, Sidharth Kajaria, Shilpita mukharjee, â€œIGIDS: Intelligent intrusion detection system using Genetic Algorithmâ€, 978-1-4673-0126-8/11/2011 IEEE.
26. Anup Goyal, Chetan Kumar, â€œGA-NIDS : A genetic algorithm based network intrusion detection systemâ€,
27. Atul Kamble, â€œIncremental Clustering in data mining using genetic algorithmâ€, IJCTE, Vol 2, No. 3, June, 2010
28. Shaik Akbar, Dr. J. A. chandulal, Dr. K. Nageswara Rao, G. Sudheer Kumar, â€œtroubleshooting technique for intrusion detection sytem using genetic algorithmâ€, IJWBC, vol 1(3), december 2011
29. Melanie Mitchell (1998), â€œAn Introduction to Genetic Algorithms â€œ
30. Suhail Owais, Vaclav Snasel, Pavel Kromer, Ajith abrahim,â€Survey: Using genetic algorithm approach in intrusion detection system techniquesâ€, 7th computer information system and industrial management applications,2008 IEEE
31. Scott M(2004) â€œAn introduction to genetic algorithmsâ€ Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges Volume 20 Issue 1, October 2004 Pages 115-123.
32. V. Moraveji Hashmei, Z. Muda and W. Yassin, â€œImproving Intrusion Detection using Genetic Algorithmâ€, International Technology journal 12(11) pp. 2167-2173, 2013.
How to Cite
All articles published in Journal of Advances in Linguistics are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.