A Novel Generic Battery Modeling Approach for Power System Simulation Applications
Keywords:Entropy, Enthalpy, Energy storage system, Electrochemical model, Analytical model, Electric circuit model, Generic model
AbstractVery large capacity energy storage systems are required in power systems for utility shaping when renewable energy systems like wind farms are not supporting sufficient generation. Energy storage systems are indispensible during evacuation problem in existing grid structure. For addressing power quality aspects also, quick responsive energy storage systems are requisite. In these contexts, before practical implementation of energy storage systems, for a particular or combined application, its characteristics are to be simulated in power system environment to suit for the specific application. In this perspective, the various battery modeling are briefed and a novel generic battery modeling approach which will be useful in power system simulation application is presented in this paper. The contribution through this work is, real time physical parameters of battery are incorporated in look-up table. Those values are read during simulation to compute standard electrode potential of battery. As future scope of work, real-time interfacing of physical parameters of battery can be implemented during simulation. Vanadium redox flow battery and lithium-ion battery are simulated using the generic battery modeling approach and their results presented, comparing their suitability for utility shaping, power quality enhancement aspects and distributed grid technology application.
2. D. L. Yao, S. S.Choi, K. J. Tseng and T. T. Lie, â€œDetermination of Short-Term Power Dispatch Schedule for a Wind Farm Incorporated With Dual-Battery Energy Storage Schemeâ€, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Vol. 3, No. 1, January 2012
3. Ryan Ahmed, Mohammed El Sayed, Ienkaran Arasaratnam, Jimi Tjong, and Saeid Habibi, â€œReduced-Order Electrochemical Model Parameters Identification and SOC Estimation for Healthy and Aged Li-Ion Batteries Part I: Parameterization Model Development for Healthy Batteries,â€ IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 2, No. 3, September 2014
4. Ryan Ahmed, Mohammed El Sayed, Ienkaran Arasaratnam, Jimi Tjong, and Saeid Habibi, â€œReduced-Order Electrochemical Model Parameters Identification and State of Charge Estimation for Healthy and Aged Li-Ion Batteriesâ€”Part II: Aged Battery Model and State of Charge Estimation,â€ IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 2, No. 3, September 2014
5. David W.Oxtoby et. al., Modern Chemistry, Cengage Learning India Pvt Ltd, New Delhi, 2008, pp.684-704
6. Christian Blanc and Alfred Rufer, â€˜Understanding the Vanadium Redox Flow Batteriesâ€™, Paths to Sustainable Energy 18(2) pp.334-336
7. Habiballah Rahimi-Eichi, Federico Baronti, and Mo-Yuen Chow, â€œOnline Adaptive Parameter Identification and State-of-Charge Coestimation for Lithium-Polymer Battery Cells,â€ IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 61, No. 4, April 2014
8. Zhixin Miao, LingXu, Vahid R. Disfani, and Lingling Fan, â€œAn SOC-Based Battery Management System for Microgrids,â€ IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol. 5, No. 2, March 2014
9. Pawel Malysz, Jin Ye, Ran Gu, Hong Yang, and Ali Emadi, â€œBattery State-of-Power Peak Current Calculation and Verification using an Asymmetric Parameter Equivalent Circuit Model,â€ Transactions on Vehicular Technology, DOI 10.1109/TVT.2015.2443975, IEEE
10. Jia Hongxin, Fu Yang and Zhang Yu, He Weiguo, â€œDesign of Hybrid Energy Storage Control System for Wind Farms Based on Flow Battery and Electric Double-Layer Capacitorâ€, 978-1-4244-4813-5/10, IEEE, 2010
11. Vivek Agarwal, Kasemsak Uthaichana, Raymond A. DeCarlo, and Lefteri H. Tsoukalas, â€œDevelopment and Validation of a Battery Model Useful for Discharging and Charging Power Control and Lifetime Estimation,â€ IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 25, No. 3, September 2010
12. Yujie Song and Lijun Gao, â€œIncremental Battery Model Using Wavelet-Based Neural Networks,â€ IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging And Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 1, No. 7, July 2011
13. Taesic Kim, andWei Qiao, â€œA Hybrid Battery Model Capable of Capturing Dynamic Circuit Characteristics and Nonlinear Capacity Effects,â€ IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 26, No. 4, December 2011
14. Lezhang Liu, Le Yi Wang, Ziqiang Chen, Caisheng Wang, Feng Lin and Hongbin Wang, â€œIntegrated System Identification and State-of-Charge Estimation of Battery Systems,â€ IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 28, No. 1, March 2013
15. Sijia Liu, Jiuchun Jiang, Wei Shi, ZeyuMa, Le Yi Wang, and Hongyu Guo, â€œButlerâ€“Volmer-Equation-Based Electrical Model for High-Power Lithium Titanate Batteries Used in Electric Vehicles,â€ IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 62, No. 12, December 2015
16. Yujie Wang, Chenbin Zhang, Zonghai Chen, Jing Xie, Xu Zhang, â€œA novel active equalization method for lithium-ion batteries in electric vehicles,â€ Applied Energy 145 (2015) 36â€“42
17. Hongwen He, Rui Xiong, Xiaowei Zhang, Fengchun Sun, and JinXin Fan, â€œState-of-Charge Estimation of the Lithium-Ion Battery Using an Adaptive Extended Kalman Filter Based on an Improved Thevenin Model,â€ IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 60, No. 4, May 2011
18. Markus Einhorn, Fiorentino Valerio Conte, Christian Kral, and JÂ¨urgen Fleig, â€œComparison, Selection, and Parameterization of Electrical Battery Models for Automotive Applications,â€ IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 28, No. 3, March 2013
19. Mark Sitterly, LeYiWang, G.GeorgeYin, and Caisheng Wang, â€œEnhanced Identification of Battery Models for Real-Time Battery Management,â€ IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Vol. 2, No. 3, July 2011
20. Accessed online, http://www.nexeon.co.uk/about-li-ion-batteries/ (2016)
21. Accessed online, http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2011/ph240/xie2/ (2016)
22. Sum, E., Rychcik, M. & Skyllas-Kazacos, M. â€œInvestigation of the V(V)/V(VI) system for use in the positive half-cell of a redox battery,â€ Journal of Power Sources 16, 1985
23. C. Abbey, J. Chahwan, M Gattrell and G. Joos, â€œTransient Modeling and Simulation of Wind Turbine Generator and Storage Systemsâ€, CIGRE Canada Conference on Power Systems, Montreal, Oct. 1-4 2006
24. Min Chen and Gabriel A. RincÂ´on-Mora, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 21(2), 504â€“511, (2006).
25. Wei Li, G. Joos, â€œA power electronic interface for a battery supercapacitor hybrid energy storage system for wind applications,â€ IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, 2008. PESC2008, pp. 1762-1768.
26. Accessed online, http://niwe.res.in/NIWE_OLD/Hindi/Docu/Wind_grid_code_for_India%20.pdf (2016)
27. Accessed online, http://www.powermin.nic.in/ (2016)
How to Cite
All articles published in Journal of Advances in Linguistics are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.